Don’t miss this CNBC video about Mike Lindell! There are some interesting views of the MyPillow factory as well a great overview of about Mike’s history from crack to the highly success MyPillow company - to the White House!
- The video shows Mike’s original foam-shredding machine: a hammer mill - which was originally a piece of farm equipment! Also shown are the foam shredding machines that Mike designed to take the place of the hammer mill.
- Mike runs MyPillow in Chaska MN, the town he grew up in, where his early entrepreneur years were spent cleaning carpets, raising pigs and running lunch wagons. He was also, occasionally, making money as a professional card counter - until he was thrown out of the casino. In the 80’s, Mike got into the bar business - which, as he says, “probably wasn’t very good because I was an addict at the time.”
- Mike always had a hard time sleeping and disliked all the pillows he tried. Then, in 2004, he dreamed of a pillow which would hold its shape. After the dream, he wrote “MyPillow” everywhere in the house. When he told his daughter that he had this idea of a pillow called “MyPillow”, she simply said, “that’s random, Dad”.
- Mike spent months cutting up pieces of foam to create a pillow that would hold its form - he even learned to sew the pillows himself. After inventing the pillow, he went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and showed them his "best pillow in the world”. But, they were not impressed.
- Mike then did a kiosk in a local shopping center. One of the customers turned out to be connected to the Minneapolis Home and Garden Show and he invited Mike to debut the MyPillow at the show, and sales took off.
- Mike used to be a crack cocaine addict during the early years of MyPillow and lost his marriage, his house and almost his business due to his addictions. In fact, even his dealers put out the word that no one should sell drugs to Mike after Mike had been up for almost 2 weeks straight. Mike finally hit bottom January 16, 2009, and asked God to let him wake up in the morning and never have the desire again. When he woke up the next day he had the “most peaceful feeling I ever had.” His addictions were totally gone.
- In 2011, Mike had another dream: make an infomercial. Mike starred in the infomercial and ad-libbed the whole commercial himself. Due to the infomercial, MyPillow went from 5 employees to 500 by the end of that year. Now, MyPillow has sold over 300 million pillows.
- Mike met Donald Trump in 2016 and quickly became a fan. After that meeting, Mike's reaction to Trump was that “this guy is going to be the most amazing guy in history” based on all the jobs Trump wanted to bring back and his concern about the inner cities. Mike then went to the White House last July for a Made-in-America roundtable - and sat right next to President Trump.
- Mike is publishing an autobiography and hopes to turn his story into a movie with the help of actor Steve Baldwin. Mike is also focusing on his foundation, the Lindell Foundation, to help the less fortunate.
A lot has happened in Mike’s life - and is continuing to happen. And, Mike's reaction to his life is that, “The only way that we were able to do this was Devine intervention.”Read more
Mike's entrepreneurial success story actually starts in a crack house. Although he had already started his MyPilllow business, his turning point was getting out of the crack houses by conquering his intense crack and cocaine addictions through faith in 2008.
- Mike invented the MyPillow in 2003 through a dream, based on many restless nights
- After quitting his addictions, he started newspaper advertising and his famous MyPillow infomercial.
- He also expanded into Walmart, Bed, Bath and Beyond, QVC and other retailers. MyPillow also has 17 MyPillow retail stores.
- In 2016, MyPillow continued to expand. Towards that, Mike opened a new 100,000-square-foot factory that is capable of making 85,000 pillows a day in anticipation of tripling his sales.
From the article:
He’d had another dream: MyPillow would be a $1 billion company.Read more
Mike was interviewed by THREAD MB, where he talked about his early childhood, his plans for the Lindell Foundation, a new app he is working on, organizations that Mike is working with, and his autobiography, which is due to be out this year. Mike continues to be busy!
- Mike was raised in a trailer park and, unlike the personality you see in the MyPillow infomercials, he was actually a “shy kid” who “would show off in school for attention”. Obviously, he has come a long way since those shy early days!
- Mike looked at the opioid epidemic, and wondered “What’s wrong with this picture?” He is now righting that wrong through the Lindell Foundation and other projects.
- Mike’s Lindell Foundation is based on “absolute trust and transparency" where 100% of your donation will go directly to actual needs, and you will be able to see how your dollar impacted the selected need.
- Mike is also working with HUD Secretary Ben Carson and HUD’s Envision Center Initiative, whose focus is on helping recovered addicts. He is also working with The Salvation Army, the Adult & Teen Challenge, and a program to help prisoners.
- Mike’s book, “What are the Odds”, will be a story of hope which chronicles Mike’s journey from crack addict to CEO. It is due to come out in late summer. Much of the proceeds from the book will go to the projects Mike is working on.
And, when asked about his legacy, Mike's reply was, “I just hope I’ve inspired people to realize what Jesus Christ can do in their lives. A story of hope and understanding that reminds people that 'with God, all things are possible.'"Read more
Mike Lindell talked to The Detroit Cast about his MyPillow Houston donations, the Lindell Foundation and how he wants it to positively impact those in need, the opioid epidemic, his meetings with Trump, and his book that is coming out soon.
Mike’s donation of 80,000 MyPillows for victims of Hurricane Harvey
Mike heard that there were at least 30,000 people displaced by Hurricane Harvey, so he had a total of 80,000 pillows manufactured, packed into trucks, shipped down to Texas, and distributed by his employees to the victims of the hurricane plus the first responders.
He was able to quickly find those in need through his Lindell Foundation contacts, as they knew where to distribute the pillows, so everyone was able to get on board and get organized quickly.
The Lindell Foundation
Mike feels that God gave him an amazing platform with MyPillow. Mike loves giving and feels blessed to be able to give. Towards that, the Lindell Foundation has been in the works for 2 years. The goal of the foundation is to help other’s lives and use 100% of the money donated to go to those in need, with the Lindell Foundation picking up all overhead costs.
The first project was a soft launch of The Lindell Foundation to help hurricane victims in the Houston area. A chapter of the Lindell Foundation will also be opening up in Detroit within the next few months. Mike has already been to Detroit and has met with leaders who are involved with those in need, such as the homeless, those with addictions, and veterans.
These leaders will help find those in need and validate that those who are found really do have needs. Then, when the Lindell Foundation goes live, it will be able to publicize the Foundation in a variety of ways, such as on radio stations, so people can find out who have needs, give their money to help specific needs, and be able to hear back.
Mike’s heart goes out to addicts and their families - and he wants to help them change. One area of particular concern is the opioid epidemic. America has not had an epidemic quite like this. In fact, Mike had someone very close to him die from an opioid addiction.
Mike feels we can we overcome this, though. He feels you have to “start with the individuals and give hope”. We need to look and see what works, what is successful for others. Then, show this success to others. Towards that, the Lindell Foundation will be highlighting success stories because you have to give addicts and their families hope. When people see hope, things get better - “hope brings more hope”. 9:31
Mike knows that when he was on crack, that it was a mask for inner pain - that a lot of physical addictions are mental. But, there is so much stigma and shame with drug addictions that people don’t see the other issues of the addict. People don’t want to reach out and help because they feel that the addicts brought the addictions on themselves. They feel the addict did this to themselves - people just don’t understand.
But addicts know their inner pain - they don’t need to hear how bad they are. And so many addicts might give up drugs, only to relapse because of the shame and the fact that they don’t get trust. Plus, for a lot of people, getting off the drugs is a lonely feeling, a lifestyle you are not used to. But it comes down to trust and the power of prayer and God.
Trump and politics
Last summer, Trump reached out and had a private meeting with Mike. In that meeting, Mike saw that Trump has amazing plans to help the inner cities, fix the infrastructure, and to promote made-in-America’s products. So, Trump was excited that MyPillow built a company of 1600 employees based on products made in America, and with Mike’s foundation which will be helping the inner cities. Mike knows that these issues are important to Trump and that Trump will get there.
To help America, Mike feels that we need to be one country. Right now, nothing is getting done. We need to unite and get things done. Texas’ response to Hurricane Harvey is a good example of what happens when all get on board when all are helping - the stories of all those helping in Texas is simply amazing. Unfortunately, it took a tragedy to get united. But, look what we can do when we all pull together.
There have been rumors that Mike wants to get into politics himself by running for governor or other political offices. Mike says no - that he has a bigger purpose with his foundation and that he can do a lot more good with his foundation than with politics.
What has success brought Mike? With the exception of some foreign travel, not much is different - he still hunts and fishes like he did before. And, he has a normal house and pickup truck. The only difference is that he now has to “learn to eat with two forks”.
Mike’s book is projected to come out the first quarter of next year. In it, he recounts amazing life experiences, like his 14 near-death experiences, how he went from 5 employees to 500 in 40 days, and how he went from being a crack addict to sitting right next to President Trump in the White House. He hopes that people reading the book will see the proof of God’s miracles in his life, and will draw inspiration from that.
MyPillow philosophy in running a company
MyPillow gives tours of MyPillow's factories all the times. Mike gave a media tour to 6 big stations the other day - and everything that could go wrong, went wrong, such as the machine, not sewing right and a chair tipping over. In fact, Mike stopped the tour and called the manager over to request that all of the sewing machines have new chairs by 4 pm that day. He said that if he wasn’t going to use a chair, his employees shouldn’t - so 200 brand new chairs were delivered to the sewing machines that afternoon.
Because Mike’s philosophy in running a company is “everything I do with it is going to be looking at it through the employee’s view - if I don’t like it as an employee, I will change it”.
Towards that, Mike got rid of his HR department and turned it into an employee help center. He says you need to watch for peoples deviations and if something goes wrong - you need to help them.
Mike overall mantra is “With God, all things are possible.” Certainly, this interview shows how this mantra is being exemplified in Mike’s life.Read more